Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Samora Machel

Samora Machel is a township just outside of Cape Town. I had the chance to go there to participate in a workshop that Sonke was holding with school children (grades 5-7) at Samora Michel Primary School. The minibus driver was quite convinced that we were going to have to use our fighting skills during our visit. Direct quote: “Do you know how to disarm a man? I’m dropping you off at the robot outside because I do NOT drive in Samora Machel.” Was he serious, or trying to scare us? I may never know... However, it turned out to be a really interesting day. This is the first time I have really spent with children here in a “structured” environment, and the kids really impressed me!

These kids were incredibly well behaved – quiet, attentive, and really listened when they were spoken to. They were very enthusiastic and wanted to learn, despite the fact that they are currently on a month long break from school so that they can take in the World Cup. They all are able to speak multiple languages, which is something that I can’t even do even though I was brought up with countless opportunities that most of these kids will never have. I think what impressed me the most was the amount of knowledge that these kids have about their community and the issues within it.

When we brought up the topic of xenophobia, these young kids already knew all about it. Their opinions about it were surprising – they didn’t understand it and seemed to view it as some strange adult thinking. They were quite adamant that we are all human beings, and if children from other African communities were to come to their school, they would be more than happy to welcome them and play with them as they would each other. What’s more, they actually identified the same reasons for xenophobia in the community as some adults we worked with: Locals are often jealous and feel insecure when refugees/asylum seekers have business success in South Africa, which leads to increased xenophobic attacks. I am quite certain that in grade 5, I would have had no idea what the social problems in my community were, not to mention the cause of it.

BUT, on a much lighter note, spending a day with a bunch of kids always guarantees one thing – the world’s most adorable photos.











No comments:

Post a Comment