Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Death by vuvuzela


World Cup fever has hit Cape Town HARD, which only means one thing - 24/7 vuvuzelas! I honestly can't tell if they are actually always being played, or if my ears are just so shattered that I hear them whether they are around or not. Whether in the city centre outside my office, or in the suburbs, waking me up in the morning, they are nearly inescapable.


Aside from that though, the city is actually on fire. We watched the first match, featuring Bafana Bafana of course, at the Fan Fest in Cape Town with 15,000 other fans. The energy is electric! After the game, which ended in a tie, the streets were filled with people drinking, dancing, cheering and just generally having an amazing time. I have never seen anything quite like it!



Saturday, Dez, her friend Kashmir, our roommate Justin and myself rented a car and drove down to Cape Point - the most southern point in Africa. It was a beautiful trip - cute little seaside towns, beaches, baboons, a national park, and of course, PENGUINS! It was an amazing escape from the city, if only for a few hours.


That evening, we went to watch the USA v. England game at a pub in the Waterfront area. It was another taste of insanity. Completely packed, with approximately one table of US fans and the rest supporting England. It made me realize that everywhere I go in the next month is likely to be an experience. ;) After the game, we went to a club called Hemisphere, on the 32 floor of a building downtown. It was super swanky and the view was amazing.


Sunday, I went to a township party that takes place every week at a place called Mazoli's Meat in Gugulethu (I may have butchered ALL of the spelling here). We watched the game, and at half time, a giant dance party just randomly broke out in the tent we were in. This is possibly my favourite thing about South Africa - there apparently is NEVER a bad time for music and dancing. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment