Sunday, June 6, 2010

Mountains, caves, wine...


It’s been another great week in Cape Town. Last weekend, I visited Kalk Bay with a group of interns and we hiked up to the Boomslang Caves. The hike was beautiful – Kalk Bay is incredibly picturesque. If I happen to get another sunny weekend here I will definitely have to head back. The cave was an experience as well. The entrance to the cave was ridiculously small. We basically had to crawl on our knees and forearms and pull our bags beside us for about 60 feet before we could stand. That part was definitely an exercise in deep breathing and focus, especially when we stopped with about 20 people in front of me and ten people behind me while we were crawling. There was literally no escape. I have clearly inherited claustrophobia (thanks Mom). Luckily though, I managed to survive and get through the rest of the cave. It was filled with bats and little streams and ponds everywhere. Definitely worth the climb (in retrospect).

We also went clubbing that evening to a place called Hectic on Hope Street. It’s amazing how hipsters everywhere look and dance the same... :)

Saturday, my flatmates and I went to the Old Biscuit Mill, the most amazing food and local goods market EVER. It’s beautiful. It is my goal to go there for breakfast every Saturday while I am in Cape Town. After that, we went and checked out the local crafts markets. Everything is beautiful, but it is almost uncomfortable to go through because they have a way of guilting you here. “I will give you a good price, because I need money to get home.” “Why don’t you want to support me?” “I am giving you a good price, only because I really need to make this sale today.” Luckily Manal is the haggling queen, so she made sure I didn’t become too much of a sucker.

We got a new intern at Sonke (Kat!) which has been fun. We have been going on random lunch adventures everyday in downtown Cape Town. Always a good time. I went to Home Affairs again this week, and it wasn’t quite as upsetting. I can’t decide whether it was actually less crowded and stressed or if I am already just less affected because I knew what to expect.

Friday I went wine tasting in Constantia with a group of interns. The first vineyard we went to was a bit more formal and touristy. We toured the entire place and got a little lesson about how the wine is made before we got to sample five different South African wines. They had a lawn outside which they used for baboon feeding, and there were at least a dozen baboons just hanging out there when we came. I don’t think random baboon sightings are something I will ever get used to. The second vineyard was less formal, and we just sat out on a patio with a beautiful view and sampled wine for the rest of the afternoon. Not a bad way to spend a Friday.

Saturday, after the required visit to the Biscuit Mill, Desiree, Brett, Lauren and I hiked up Table Mountain. It was a sunny, clear day and perfect for the climb. It was quite a trek but the view of all of Cape Town from the top was well worth it.

This morning, Kat, Dez and I visited Robben Island. Aside from the freezing weather, it was very interesting. Our first tour guide was a fairly high placed member of the PAC during the apartheid, and the man who lead us through the prison wing was imprisoned on Robben Island for 11 years after being convicted of sabotage/treason. He had blown up some sort of tanker during the apartheid. Definitely makes for a unique experience. We saw Nelson Mandela’s cell, which was unbelievably small. I have been reading his book, Long Walk to Freedom, so it was amazing to actually get to be there and see exactly where he was and look at everything that he described. The boat ride there made it quite obvious just how isolating it would be to be sent there and how impossible it would be to escape.

I also saw my first penguins of the trip. Big day!

We spent a little bit of time V&A Waterfront afterward. If I ever feel especially homesick, I know where to go. It seems just like North America. It doesn’t seem like “Africa” in the least. Absolutely bizarre.

No comments:

Post a Comment