Sunday, July 18, 2010

Fear of Falling = Conquered



I have crossed one item off of my bucket list this weekend: Bungee jumping.

When did I decide it would be a good idea to hurl myself off of a bridge? I am not quite sure. Maybe when I heard that the highest bungee bridge in the world is just a few hours from Cape Town? Anyway, somehow, it seemed like a good idea to do it. Seemed like less of a good idea when I actually saw the bridge, but by that point, there was no turning back.

To get out to the platform, you have to walk across this wire pathway underneath the bridge that provides you with an all too clear view of the distance you are about to fall. I couldn't stop staring down at the ground below, no matter how hard I tried. Yet, for some reason, it still seemed really surreal. When I got up to the platform, I refused to look over the edge. After they tie you up and attach the cord to your feet, two men lift you out to the edge, with your toes hanging right off. They count down from five, and then you jump. I didn't think, I just did it.

I don't think the fear hit me until I launched myself off of the bridge. It didn't seem real right up until that second. I don't think I have ever let go of my body so completely. I can't even describe the feeling. You fall for about 4-5 seconds, at 120km/h, before you bounce back up. The fall stops your heart. It was all I could do to keep breathing. When I snapped back up, I couldn't really tell that I was moving away from the ground except for the feeling of floating in midair. It was incredibly disorienting, but so peaceful at the same time. I don't think I have ever been so on my own, or in any situation so completely outside of my control (once I jumped, that is).

The most intense part may have been the 75 or so seconds that I was dangling upside down before someone came to pull me back up to the bridge. The bouncing had essentially stopped as far as I could tell, or at least slowed enough that I could see everything below me perfectly clearly. It was so still, and I couldn't help but feel as though every little tug I felt on my legs was going to send me plummeting to my death. Totally irrational, but still. Luckily, I still had some space in my mind to appreciate the beauty around me, although I don't think anything has ever been quite as beautiful as the voice of the man coming to pull me up. I don't think I have ever been so excited to see anyone in my entire life.

I have done a terrible job of describing the experience, but I can safely say it was one of the most amazing things I have ever done in my life. It took awhile for my eyes to stop watering, my hands to stop shaking, and my heart to stop pounding, but it was entirely worth it. I recommend it to absolutely everyone.

This is the Bloukrans Bridge. Ridiculous video footage of the event to come.

1 comment:

  1. I am so proud of you right now, Amanda!

    -Aly

    ReplyDelete