Friday, July 9, 2010

Anyone know how to fix "undersea cables"?

One thing this past week has taught me: Patience.

Somehow, the internet in Cape Town has basically blown up. I am told that it has something to do with undersea cables that run down that coast of Africa that are in desperate need of repair. What that actually translates to is the most questionable and unpredictable internet connection to everyone that does not host locally.

Unfortunately, neither my home or my office falls into the category of places that host locally, thus, things have gotten a lot less convenient lately. Trying to write a research manual on refugee rights is pretty difficult without internet, as you can imagine.

I will never take my internet connection at home for granted again. While I'm at it, I will also never take for granted Starbucks, my car, being able to withdraw money without having to constantly look over your shoulder, having washing facilities on hand and being able to call my best friends whenever I need to talk (Larissa, Alyssa, Jamie, Sheena, you would have been getting a lot of spontaneous phone calls if I could accomplish this!). I'm sure this list will grow.

On another interesting note, someone tried to ATM scam me the other day! I have heard about this scam many times, but I never thought I would experience it myself, as I am always pretty picky about where I take out money. It was actually quite hilarious though, the man basically said word for word what I was warned the people say when they are trying to do this. They claim that your transaction is still open and they are unable to put their card in the machine until you cancel it, which requires putting your card in again. However, before they do this, they put something into the machine that will copy all of your information. Very sneaky. Luckily I had been told about this, so I just laughed (mostly in shock really) and walked away. The most interesting thing about it is that the guy was totally not sketchy looking, and had I not been told about this before, I probably would have believed him. Close call.

To add a little positive spin to all my mini stressors, I got a hot stone massage and a spa facial here in Cape Town for R160. That translates to approximately $25 for over an hour of spa treatments. So amazing. If prices were like this at home, I don't think I would ever do anything else.

One more mini complaint. I can't believe I haven't addressed this yet actually. The fashion in Cape Town = bad news. Seriously. In comparison to pretty much every other international type city I have visited, the shopping here does not even register on the scale. Just trying to find leggings without studs/rips/animal print/bedazzling is a challenge! I have gone to both of the "world class" shopping venues here, and though the centres themselves are very European/North American looking (actually, the design is probably even nicer), finding anything that I actually like enough to buy is nearly impossible. Tragic, really, since I may have done the worst job of packing in history. I thought one pair of jeans and zero nice outfits to go out in was a good idea? I am never packing without supervision again. Luckily, I will have a few days in London on my way home to soothe the fashion withdrawal and suffering I have been through here in Cape Town. ;)

1 comment:

  1. Hahaha I love that Fashion is one of your primary complaints. I suppose if I were forced to find leggings and only came up with ripped/bejeweled/studded options I would be pretty offended too.

    I hope despite these things you're still managing to have a good time. Talk to you soon :)

    - Jamie

    ReplyDelete